Sylvia Mercado Kierkegaard is a leading international authority in computer law. Her articles are widely published in top international journals and books . Her research is frequently cited and covers a wide range of topics, including comparative contract law, alternative dispute resolution, intellectual property rights, EU law, privacy, electronic commerce, Cybersecurity, computer law and data protection. She has authored, edited and published books  and over 2000 articles and her articles frequently appear in CLSR .
She is the President of the International Association of IT Lawyers (IAITL), an association of IT lawyers and legal scholars specializing in computer law, privacy and security . In 2003, she had the distinction of finishing with the highest grade in the history of Danish education .
She is a Professor at the Communications University of China, Professor-Research Fellow at ILaws (UK), University of Southampton, Adjunct professor at Xi'an Jiaotong University among others. Sylvia Kierkegaard servers as Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the IAITL legal conference series    .
She is a also member of the academic staff, and Professor at CyberSecurity Research - EPSRC/GCHQ Academic Centre of Excellence, one of the 8 UK universities conducting world class research in the field of cyber security that have been awarded "Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research" status . She is a frequent keynote speaker, invited expert and panelist of various international workshops organised by international institutions, judiciary, EU, televisions and government bodies .
She is listed as a policy expert at the Media Policy Project, London School of Economics and Political Science database of individual experts and is a member of the Policy and Scientific Committee of the European Privacy Association. Sylvia Kierkegaard is also a fellow at the UN African Center for Cyberlaw and Cybercrime Prevention, consultant for the Data Protection SDN, BHD Malaysia and a member of the Advisory Board, World Council for Law Firms and Justice.
She is the editor-in-chief of the Journal of International Commercial Law and Technology (DOAJ Access), International Journal of Private Law and International Journal of Public Law and Policy (IJPLAP) . She serves also as associate editor of the International Journal of Intercultural Information Management, Managing Editor of the Journal of Legal Technology Risk and Management  the International Journal of Innovation in Digital Economy . She has served as an expert adviser, speaker  and member of various Study Groups and Committees for the EU and the Council of Europe , which draft policies and proposals for legislative and regulatory policies on international level , as well as international associations.
Other work includes serving as the chairwoman and PI of the Co-Reach funded Intellectual Property Rights in the New Media , which is conducting a major comparative study of copyright law funded by the governments of China, UK, Netherlands, Austria and Germany. She is also a Fellow at the African Center for Cyberlaw and Cybercrime Prevention (The African Center for Cyberlaw and Cybercrime Prevention  and a member of the Policy and Scientific Committee of the European Privacy Association .
She is the National Correspondent (Denmark) on JURE Database of the EU Commission on the Lugano Convention of 1988, new Lugano Convention of March 2007, Brussels Convention on Jurisdiction and the Council Regulation No 44/2001 of 22 December 2000.
She is an advisor to numerous organisations and government bodies. She is also the IAITL delegation head/representative to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU-T).
1. "ScienceDirect Top25". Top25.sciencedirect.com.
2. "Senter for rettsinformatikk". Universitetet i Oslo.
3. "IAITL Publications". International Association of IT Lawyers.
4. "ScienceDirect - CLSR Author Search". Elsevier B.V.
6. "Pressemeddelelser - Arkiv 2003, Nyhedsbrev nr. 15, 20. januar 2003". Aarhus Universitet. Retrieved 27
7. "Global IT lawyers meet in Bangkok". Institute for Law and the Web (ILAWS). Retrieved 2014-02-05.
8. "Andreas Neocleous & Co LLC". Andreas Neocleous & Co LLC.
9. "IAITL Conference Series". LSPI.
10. "id law partners". id law partners.
11."Academic Centre of Excellence in Cybersecurity". Southampton.ac.uk/cybersecurity.
12. "Academic Centres of Excellence in Cyber Security Research". Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
13. "16th Eurasian Economic Summit - Coordination a must for cyber defense, say informatics leaders". Hurriyetdailynews.com.
15. "Advising world leaders on cybercrime | University of Southampton". Southampton.ac.uk.
16. "1st International Workshop on Trans-Border Commercial Law". Unisa.ac.za.
17. "CYBERLAWS 2010 Committees". Iaria.org. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
18. "Council of Europe Forum for the Future of Democracy". Coe.int.
19. "The 4th Regional Conference on Cybercrime". Investigateway.com.
20. "Participants". Center for Media and Communication Studies (CMCS).
21. "I Conferência Nacional da ILA-Brasil". Iccrime.com.br.
22. "Events – UMCoRS". Umcors.um.edu.my. 27 April 2009.
23. "Summer School on European Information Law | European Academy of Law and ICT". Lawandict.eu. 5 August 2011.
24. "Time" (PDF).
25. "Who is Who". Cpdpconferences.org.
26. "Participant list", Center for Media and Communication Studies (CMCS).
27. "BIT's 2nd Annual World Congress of Forensics". Bitlifesciences.com.
28. "Turk.Internet.com". Turk.Internet.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
29. "International Journal of Public Law and Policy (IJPLAP)". Inderscience.com.
30. "International Journal of Intercultural Information Management (IJIIM) - Inderscience Publishers". Inderscience.com.
31. "Journal of Legal Technology Risk and Management". Ltrm.org.
32. "International Journal of Innovation in the Digital Economy" (IJIDE). ISSN (1947–8305)(1947–8313): Elena Druicã, Ionica Oncioiu: Journals". IGI Global.
33. "Forum Program 2008 En". Scribd.com.
34. "Council of Europe Forum for the Future of Democracy". Coe.int. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
35. "Demo-net - Experts"
41. "人文学院马民虎教授应邀参加"中欧信息安全立法研讨会"_交大新闻网". Xjtunews.xjtu.edu.cn. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
42. "Копирайт пакт: защита на съдържанието онлайн « [Медийно право] [Нели Огнянова]". Nellyo.wordpress.com. 24 October 2007. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
44. "EICAR Conference". Eicar.org. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
45. "Co-Reach: Intellectual Property Rights in the New Media". Coreach-ipr.org.
46. "Fellows - L'Association Internationale de Lutte Contre la Cybercriminalité (A.I.L.C.C.)". Cybercrime-fr.org.
48. "International Journal of Intellectual Property Management (IJIPM) - Inderscience Publishers". Inderscience.com.
49. "International Journal of Liability and Scientific Enquiry (IJLSE) - Inderscience Publishers". Inderscience.com.
50. "International Journal of Liability and Scientific Enquiry (IJLSE) - Inderscience Publishers". Inderscience.com.
51. "Two GNLU students earn international acclaim for penning work on IP, copyright law". Indian Express. 2009-05-06.
52. "Social and Human Elements of Information Security: Emerging Trends and Countermeasures" (9781605660363): Manish Gupta, Raj Sharman: Books". IGI Global.
53. "Panóptica". Panoptica.org.